1.02.2009

Souvenirs in Neath~Faggots & Peas on Barry Island

We bid farewell to Darren's Mom and we made our way this morning to Neath, the larger town in the area for some souvenir shopping. On our way back to London, Darren treated me with a side trip to Barry Island, home of the show Gavin & Stacey. A very popular place during warm-weather months, it was quite barren and bitter when we arrived. But there were some brave people walking on the beach, as well as walking their dogs. We decided to stop and have a bite to eat, so I forwent the traditional fish & chips dish for faggots and peas with chips. Funny name, right? So what did I have to eat? Well, the best I can describe was meatballs with gravy and mushy peas (pureed peas) and chips (aka cottage fries), with vinegar on the side for the chips. It was quite delicious, although after reading what faggots consisted of, I'm not so sure of healthy it is. I do look forward to visiting all of Wales again once the weather is nice and the landscape is lush and green.

We left Barry Island with full stomachs, making our way back to London for a relaxing evening in the center of town, in preparation for our weekend in Paris. We left Darren's flat to take the train to the main station, St. Pancras International, home to the Eurostar. I was so impressed with this station. In preparation for it becoming the home for the Eurostar, the station was closed for about five years. It is the most modern of modern stations, however, from the outside, you wouldn't think that. Built in 1863 and having its first train enter the station in 1868, it is a gorgeous Victorian-period building. Not only is this a place to arrive and depart, it is a premiere area to shop, dine and live. Yes live! St. Pancras Chambers is currently under construction that will introduce 68 apartments, including one, and only one, luxury penthouse at the affordable price of £10 Million (which right now is approximately about $15 Million, peanuts!). It will also include a five-star hotel. From this station, you can travel to anywhere in London and beyond in England, as well on the Eurostar travel to Paris and even Brussels. Can you imagine!? Waking up, walking downstairs to the station, board the train and then, the next time you're outside is in Brussels! I love it!

We had a relaxing dinner at Pizza Express, a unique pizza joint taking the Italian pie to new levels. I highly recommend the Soho pizza! Yum! After a brisk walk through Trafalgar Square, Downing Street and a wave to Big Ben again, we made our way to the Hotel Novotel London St. Pancras, where we will spend the night. Again, I highly recommend the accommodations, not only because of its wonderful amenities, but also of its close proximity to St. Pancras Station.

Across from the Novotel was the British Library. Although we did not have enough time, I have already made a point to visit on my next trip. I do love a good library!