
Cilfrew. First a phonetic pronunciation: Kill-frew (rhymes with through). Second a map: located in south Wales, the largest city is Cardiff. This is where I will be when Big Ben strikes 12 Midnight. Although not Abercynon where Darren grew up, it is where his mother now resides. To the left is a picture of the Severn Bridge crossing over from England into Wales. A toll is paid upon entry into Wales. I always think of the funny scene from
Gavin and Stacey when Smithy and Gavin argue with the toll collector over 10 pence, although the current fee is £5.30 for cars and you must have cash, no credit cards.

Upon arrival, we were welcomed warmly by his mom Ann and partner Mal. After some eats and conversation, we got ready for the big night on the town...the local cricket club, where local friends gather to socialize, as well as play cricket. We had bus transportation to the club and for those Gavin & Stacy fans out there, I felt like I was a passenger on Dave's Bus. We started to pick up couples along the way: two here, and two there and I was trying to remember everyone's name and decipher the heavy accent. And then, the next stop...a total of six at once. Well, I was lost, it was quite hilarious, at least to Darren it was.

We had a great night with drinks and dancing. We ended the evening with a jolly ride home on the bus with the singing of Welsh folk songs. We all stopped at Darren's sister's home to wish her and her family a Happy New Year.